Read the sentences carefully and choose the best answers to make complete ones.
1. From 1949 onward, the artist Georgia O’keeffe made New Mexico _______.
A. her permanent residence was B. where her permanent residence
C. permanent residence for her D. her permanent residence
2. Just as remote-controlled satellites can be employed to explore outer space, _______ employed to investigate the deep sea.
A. can be robots B. robots can be C. can robots D. can robots that are
3. _______ is not clear to researchers.
A. Why dinosaurs having become extinct. B. Why dinosaurs became extinct
C. Did dinosaurs become extinct D. Dinosaurs became extinct
4. The first transatlantic telephone cable system was not established _______ 1956.
A. while B. until C. on D. when
5. Drinking water _______ excessive amounts of fluorides may leave a stained or mottled effect on the enamel of teeth.
A. containing B. in which containing C. contains D. that contain
6. In the 1820’s physical education became _______ of the curriculum of Harvard and Yale Universities.
A. to be part B. which was part C. was part D part
7. If you can win his attention ___________ for you.
A. the so much better B. the better so much C. so much the better D. so the much better
8. The President resigned; the whiff of scandal remained ____________.
A. otherwise B. therefore C. immediately D. nevertheless
9. Which __________ agency do you work for?
A. ads B. advertised C. advertising D. advertisement
10. Van Gogh suffered from depression ____________ by overwork and ill-health.
A. brought on B. coming about C. taken up D. put through