1. Second prize was awarded to an unknown author from Pastra.
A. An award of second prize was given an unknown author from Pastra.
B. An unknown author from Pastra was awarded second prize.
C. An unknown author from Pastra was awarded with the second prize.
D. Unknown author was awarded second.
2. I used to live alone.
A. I lived by myself but I no longer do it now. B. I lived by myself and I was used to it.
C. I am used to living alone. D. I was used to living by myself.
3. I was late for work because the bus broke down.
A. As the bus was broken, I was late for work.
B. Due to a bus break-down, I was late for work.
C. Since the bus broke into pieces, I was late for work.
D. Due to the fact that the bus was broken, I was late for work.
4. "If I were you, I would get in touch with the boss.", he said.
A. He suggested that I would get in touch with the boss.
B. He suggested keeping in touch with the boss.
C. He recommended that I should get in touch with the boss.
D. He wished he were me so that he could get in touch with the boss.
5. I'm not very good at gardening, I'm afraid.
A. I'm not much of a gardener, I'm afraid. B. I regret that I bad at gardening.
C. I'm scared to work in the garden. D. I am afraid of working in the garden.
6. We started cooking for the party four hours ago.
A. We began to cook for the party for four hours.
B. We have been cooking for the party for four hours.
C. We cooked for the party for four hours.
D. We cooked for the party four hours ago.
7. The boatmen were able to escape just before the boat sank.
A. The boatmen could escape just before the boat sank.
B. The boatmen attempted to escape just before the boat sank
C. The boatmen succeeded to escape just before the boat sank.
D. The boatmen managed to escape just before the boat sank.
8. It may be possible for you to go there without a visa.
A. It may not be impossible for you to go there without a visa.
B. You may be possible to go there without a visa.
C. It may be unnecessary for you to get a visa to go there.
D. You may find it possible to get a visa to go there.
9. Please don't use the shower after midnight.
A. Would you mind not to use the shower after midnight?
B. Would you like to use the shower after midnight?
C. I don't want you to use the shower.
D. Would you mind not using the shower after midnight?
10. It would be better if you did not bring your dog in here.
A. I'd rather you hadn't brought you dog in here.
B. I wish you hadn't brought your dog in here.
C. I'd rather you didn't bring your dog in here.
D. You have brought your dog in here, which is against the rules.
11. The car is more expensive than it ought to be.
A. The car ought to be expensive.
B. The car shouldn't be so cheap.
C. The car looks like an inexpensive automobile.
D. The car costs more than it should.
12. Jane hardly ever enjoys eating vegetables.
A. She enjoys eating vegetables. B. She has fun growing vegetables.
C. She almost never eats vegetables. D. She sells vegetables for living.
13. We had several guests at our house over the holidays.
A. We were guests at our friend's house.
B. Several people visited us during the holidays.
C. The holidays were over by the time our guests arrived.
D. We guessed that several people would come.
14. I can't believe that he did it without telling me first.
A. I can't believe what he told me. B. He told me that he did it first.
C. He didn't believe that I told him first. D. He didn't inform me before he did it.
15. It is too late to change it, so leave it the way it is.
A. It can't be altered at this point. B. We should change it before he finds it out.
C. We can't leave it the way it is. D. He should approve the changes before he leaves.
II. Rewrite the following sentences without changing their meaning, using the given words.
1. The government will introduce new measures against crime next year.
New measures ___________________________________________________________________________
2. "Bring me a cup of tea, please," she said to him.
She asked _______________________________________________________________________________
3. As soon as he arrived in London, he phoned his parents.
No sooner __________________________
4. I don't think he cares about his employees.
At no time ______________________________
5. There is no point in persuading him to change his mind.
It's not worth __________________________
6. This is the first time I have spoken in front of so many people.
I was not used ___________
7. It's Lan's duty to type the report and send it to the manager.
Lan is supposed _____
8. My father let the children splash around in the pool for a while yesterday.
My father allowed _______
9. People believe that the climate is changing.
The climate ____________
10. If he hadn't helped me, I wouldn't have finished my report on time.
But for ___________